QA: is it really as easy as it seems?development Dec 3, 2020
Please welcome our QA Team Lead - Olga Mitievska!
She has had over 4 years of experience in QA and today she answered a few questions about her activity!
What is QA and what is the difference between QA Manual and QA Automation?
Quality assurance is a set of planned and systematic activities designed to provide confidence that quality requirements will be met. As a consequence, a QA engineer is the one who checks and identifies inconsistencies between the requirements for the system and the system itself.
Difference between QA Manual and QA Automation
Both specialists are responsible for the quality of the product, while QA Manual is responsible for finding errors in the product manually, and QA automation automates this manual activity.
Most frequently, manual application testing is a laborious and time-consuming process. Without being combined with automated testing, this type of checks can only be used on small, short-term projects.
Manual testing is a direct interaction between the QA engineer and the application. In this process, you can get feedback about the product, which is impossible if you use automated testing.
In addition, the tester will be able to make his own feedback and recommendations for improving the software, and testing will be the evidence of the comparison of the expected and actual results.
Is QA really the easiest way in IT?
Even at the start of a QA trainee, you need basic knowledge and understanding of what testing is, what it is needed for, etc. In the course of training and work, the tester develops various technical skills. A novice tester cannot do without logical and variable thinking, curiosity, criticality and attention to details.
What knowledge is needed to become a successful QA Engineer?
- Understanding types of testing;
- Knowledge about bug tracker;
- Possession of test design techniques and understanding which technique and for which tasks to use;
- Basic understanding of the iOS and Android guidelines;
- Being an experienced user of at least one of the OS;
- Understanding the principles of client-server interaction;
- The ability to work with IDE (Xcode / Android Studio)
- The ability to work with Postman;
- Understanding cross-platform applications are and how they differ from native ones;
In addition, QA Automation should know:
- Test frameworks;
- Drivers and add-ons for test automation;
- Results reporting systems Autotest;
- Version control systems;
- Continuous Integration Systems (CI \ CD)
It will be a huge plus if you:
- Know how to organize load testing using Apache jMeter;
- Know how to conduct security testing for mobile or web applications.
What does a tester’s working day look like? What is the team interaction and the role in the development process?
Tasks and processes can be in a different sequence, it all depends on the project, the desires of the customer, the methodology and its use, but often a working day goes in a following way:
- Analysing the number of tasks and prioritization.
- Choosing a task to work on.
- Acquaintance with the documentation, if you have any questions, then you have to clarify the requirements or implementation from the developers\ BA \ PM .
- Description of test cases to be performed as part of testing this task.
- Passing cases, thus reporting test results,bug reporting and closing the task.
- Participating in the meetings with the team.
The tester interacts with all team members who can influence the fate of the product being developed. These can be Project Manager, Product Owner, Business Analyst, Front-End Developer, Back-End Developer, Markup Developer, Designer.
Are programming languages needed in QA?
This is always a huge benefit if QA knows a programming language, which at least improves the understanding of software development processes, helps people realize what human mistakes can be made, expands the horizons of testing and there is always an opportunity to improve or speed up the routine testing process.
What are the prospects for the QA direction, and can you move from QA to another area?
In addition to vertical growth in positions from Trainee QA Manual to Tech Lead \ QA Lead \ Senior Automation, there is horizontal development and deepening in the General \ Load QA Engineer \ Security QA Engineer directions.
Also, a tester can change his specialty to Business Analyst, Business Intelligence, Front-End Developer, Back-End Developer, Markup Developer, Project Manager, Product Owner, or other desired options.%!s(